30 Reasons to get excited for 2014
- 1/1 | The Affordable Care Act goes into effect. Guaranteed maternity coverage for all!
- 1/5 | Downton Abbey Season 4 premieres on PBS. Lady Edith, we really think 1922 is going to be your year.
1/13 | The buzz of the 2014 North American International Auto Show will be driverless vehicles, or cars that take over steering in tricky, congested situations.
- 2/7 | The Winter Olympics kicks off in Sochi, Russia. Did you know that a 150-pound male figure skater can land a jump with the force of a 1,000-pound baby elephant?
- 2/14 | The return of House of Cards on Netflix. Women everywhere wonder if they can pull off the Robin Wright pixie cut.
- Nicolas Ghesquière for Louis Vuitton. Marc Jacobs is out, and the former Balenciaga designer is in. We’ve got our eye on him for Paris Fashion Week.
- 3/2 | Ellen DeGeneres hosts the Oscars. Seth MacFarlane watches
- The sleek, low ponytail: Your 2014
- Kate Moss’s Topshop collaboration hits stores. Fingers crossed it channels the ’90s blasé-grunge aesthetic (not the ’90s butterfly-clip aesthetic).
- 4/22 | Neil Patrick Harris returns to Broadway to star in Hedwig and the Angry Inch. We always knew he was born to wear glitter eyeliner and a wig.
- 5/6 | Food writer Ruth Reichl’s first novel, Delicious!, hits shelves. We’re hungry just thinking about it.
- Four words: herb-infused ice cubes. (Think strawberry-basil and hibiscus-mint.)
- All hail the boxy shift blouse. From Cynthia Rowley to Calvin Klein, this style was all over the spring ’14 runway. Pair with high-waisted pants to avoid showing the world your belly button.
- 6/6 | Best-selling YA book The Fault in Our Stars gets the cinematic treatment. See it with your teenaged niece and sob the entire time.
- 6/12 | Brazil hosts the World Cup. Americans claim to like soccer for 3.6 days.
- The dessert of summer is the high-end ice cream sandwich. Coconut macaron with mango sorbet filling? Yes, please.
- Our sources tell us that Adele’s new album–a.k.a. the sound track to everybody’s next breakup–is coming in July.
- Get ready for Coin, a razor-thin, swipe-able piece of plastic that stores all of your credit cards in one place.
- Gochujang (Korean fermented dipping sauce) is the new summer grill marinade.
- High-Intensity Interval Training is the new CrossFit (which was the new Zumba).
- Everyone who’s anyone will be vacationing in Macedonia.
- The USDA’s “Smart Snacks in School” law goes into effect, banning energy drinks and candy from public-school vending machines.
- 9/25 | Girls fans line up to snag Lena Dunham’s essay collection, Not That Kind of Girl. Will it be worth the $3.7 million advance?
- Hooray for bucket bags!
More swingy in nature, this trendy purse is smaller than your average tote and offers the strap of a cross-body.
- 10/3 | OMG, Gone Girl is a movie. And OMG, it stars Ben Affleck.
- Tina Fey returns to television–well, writing for television at least–with a new comedy about a woman who escapes from a doomsday cult. We’re already working on our night cheese.
- We’re betting that Apple’s mysterious iWatch will be released before the holidays. Think Google Glass meets Fitbit meets your old-school Casio.
11/4 | The midterm elections are here! Is a House/Senate changeover indicative of 2016? And which Fox News anchor will have an on-camera meltdown?
Fewer men will suffer from cold heads this winter. Why? The FDA’s pending approval of a new cure for baldness.
- 12/25 | It’s a hard-knock life once again, thanks to the long-awaited Annie remake starring Jamie Foxx, Cameron Diaz and the unpronounceably named child actress, Quvenzhané Wallis.
What are you looking forward to in 2014?